LL84 Penalties and Compliance
The NYC Benchmarking Law requires owners of buildings 50,000 square feet and up to annually measure their energy and water consumption in a process called benchmarking. The law requires users to enter their annual energy and water use in the online tool Portfolio Manager and use the tool to submit data to the City. The data given shows energy and water consumption compared to similar buildings and tracks annual progress.
Benchmarking data is also disclosed publicly used in various reports and resources.
Building owners are subject to LL84 Penalties if usage data is not submitted by May 1st of every year. The below chart illustrates the various LL84 Penalties that are issued out quarterly.
The annual benchmarking process consists of the following steps:
1. Check the Covered Buildings List for your property every year.
2. Set up an account in ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager if you do not have one.
3. Enter or review building characteristics and uses.
4. Collect whole building energy data from utilities. (Common areas and Tenant aggregated data).
5. Record your energy and water usage in Portfolio Manager.
6. Confirm and enter BBL and BIN information.
7. Check your data for errors and completeness.
8. Submit usage data to the City by May 1st through Portfolio Manager.
Below is a sample violation notice issued out to all buildings that fail to meet the compliance deadline.